A Century of Collegiality, Education, and Philanthropy
The Woman’s Club of Warren building at 310 Market Street has a dynamic and colorful history. Myron Waters purchased the land from the borough of Warren in 1865 for less than $2000.00. In 1872 he and his second wife, Charlotte built the present-day brick three-story house. It is constructed in the Italianate style, with hip roof, and three front façade openings on each level. The arched floor-to-ceiling windows are embellished with inverted U- hooded crowns. A cornice with paired corbel supports the third-floor overhanging eves. A bell ringing system, which can still be seen, was used to alert the live-in servants that they were needed. The main rooms have beautiful fireplace hearths used to heat the entire house. The basement has full individual rooms with arching brick passages, partial dirt floors and an original hand pump installed in the floor for inside water well access. The interior woodwork is highlighted with tall doors including arched insets and rounded frame moldings. The Department of the Interior has placed The Woman’s Club building on the National Register of Historic Places.